Thursday, February 01, 2007

Designer Fakes

Hmm... I've been toying with this post for about a month now because I am so torn on the issue.

Is it okay to buy fake designer goods such as Louis Vuitton handbags or Hermes scarves, etc?

On the one hand, if all the reports out there are to be believed, fake goods help fund terrorism and are created in sweatshops. Not only that, they are illegal in most parts of the world.

So okay. I get it. That fake Prada tote bag sitting in my closet is from the Devil.

On the other hand, there are so many fashion trends out there, and if one were to pick one and follow it, a girl could end up paying thousands of dollars for just a few little items. And unless your last name is Jolie-Pitt, Gates, or Beckham, you probably cannot afford to do that. The whole family to support thing kind of gets in the way.

It is my belief that the average woman likes to treat herself every now and then. If you're like me, you fantasize about the "treats" being that new Jimmy Choo purse that all the stars are carrying, but the reality is that you cannot justify the expense, so you go to Old Navy and pick up a track suit and cool tote bag on sale. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, I believe that is the responsible thing to do. Spending money that could be better used for things like bills, groceries, and living expenses on a pair of shoes or a purse is NOT a good choice.

So every now and then the siren song of the fake bag/accessory beckons. And there in front of you is the brand new Chanel bag for $45. You have the magazine ad in front of you and it is identical to the naked eye. Sure the lining might be different or the leather might really be "pleather" but for $45, who cares? Right? And you find yourself writing a check...

So I come to the point of my post. If the siren song beckons and is too strong to resist, please, PLEASE take a little advice from me:

1) Remember that your purse is FAKE.
2) Enjoy it.
3) If someone asks about its authenticity, don't lie. Be proud of your bargain. It's likely that the person asking already knows and wants to know where you picked it up.
4) Do your homework. If you've never, EVER seen a magenta and orange striped Louis Vuitton, then your fake will stick out like a sore thumb.

I will say this, though... In my closet, I have a handful of fake purses that sit next to a handful of the real thing. I have experienced buyer's remorse on about half of my collection (real & fake). Don't buy something just to buy it and don't buy a name. I've used purses as an example, but we could be talking about scarves, jewelry, watches, you name it. Spend money carefully and when you hand out your cash (whether it's $20 or $2000), make sure it's on something you're going to ENJOY.

No comments: